Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Blog 8, Colleague Comment


For my final colleague commentary, I chose the article “S.A.T.’s are B.A.D”, written under the blog site title, Life and Liberty. I see and discuss this topic often being employed in the Texas public school system and having four children that are receiving their education through this system. I see the strain that this testing places on the entire school district. The teachers are on edge, the students are drained and administration seems to be in a panic during standardized testing, currently known as the STARR test. I undoubtedly emphasize with the entire team.

I do not however disagree with these methods of academic testing. While the argument made in my referenced article is that, “…if the student’s grades in those classes demonstrate understanding and various teachers’ or different teaching strategies can contest to it, what more can the tests prove?” In my opinion, the test proves a lot. They are put in place to make sure that my child fully comprehends the material that is being taught. These tests are holding my child accountable for that knowledge and confirming that he did indeed learn it, rather than just bluffing his way through it. Also, they ensure that my children are being led by an educated teaching staff that also holds themselves accountable. Without highly qualified teachers, children are greatly hindered in their learning. Standardized testing is set in place to make sure our children and educators are performing at their best.

While I support an academic testing system such as STARR, I’m not entirely sure of the way it has been implemented. I believe additional measures should be put forward to allow educators to have a clear picture and better understanding of the expectations given. The students as well, should feel confident in the testing process, as opposed to stressed and confused. Continuing to be involved in our education system, no matter what your position, is imperative. It’s important for communities to get informed, get involved and fight for a stronger system.

No comments:

Post a Comment